ONCE upon a time it was a joke to receive one of Grandma’s Christmas knits. You would have to feign thanks, wear it for the rest of the day, then leave it to fester at the back of a mouldy cupboard. Not anymore. Fair Isle knits are back with a vengeance, becoming a must-have for this season.
The Fair Isle pattern originally made its comeback a few years ago in the form of the peruvian hat, and last autumn/winter saw the return of the chunky knit, due to their resurgence in popularity on the vintage scene. For the A/W 10 collection, the high street has fully embraced them with patterns not only on jumpers and hats, but scarves, gloves, cardigans and socks.
Some stores have gone for more bolder, more colourful designs, with River Island sporting a luminous yellow knit, while Topman have played safer with traditional patterns, colours and designs.
With Christmas fast approaching, Fair Isle is the perfect way to add an injection of seasonal cheer into your look. If you’re still clinging on to those last fading memories of summer, then team a jumper with a chino and military boots to bring your look into the colder months. Try a denim shirt buttoned to the top underneath a cardigan, and add scarves, hats and gloves to military peacoat. All of these looks are perfect to carry you through until spring, so forget about discarding them after you’ve scoffed your last mince pie on Christmas Day.
- - H&M, shawl collared jumper with button detail, £29.99
- - Zara, lined jacquard jacket, £59.99
- - Topman, reindeer design cardigan, £42
- - ASOS, chunky knitted gloves with wide ribbed cuffs, £10
- - H&M, knitted scarf, £12.99
- - Zara, knitted snood with fur detail, £22.99
- - Burton, reindeer and snowflake funnel neck cardigan, £46
- - All Saints, slouch knitted beanie, £35
- - River Island, blue crew neck jumper, £34.99
- - Topman, fairisle detail socks, £3
- - Topman, snowflake fingerless gloves, £8
- - Topman, shawl collar jumper with button detail, £38
- – Topman, reindeer crew neck jumper, £38
- “Harry Potter-Inspired Sweaters” and related posts (iheartdaily.com)
- Chunky Sweaters (sagemag.wordpress.com)
- A Brief History of Fair Isle Knits (shopbop.com)